Monday, August 29, 2016

A Tribute To The Ones That Raised Me....

Have you guys ever thought about how amazing the gospel is? 
Okay, yeah, of course you have. But really. Just pause for a second and think about it. 
I think we take the beauty of the gospel for granted all too often. At least I know I do! 
I think part of it may be because I was raised having the gospel always there. 
Some days I think of that as a lame thing because I don't have this "powerful conversion story" and I can't relate to my investigators as well. But I will tell you. I can never repay my parents for blessing me with raising me in the church. 
I was thinking about it the other morning. It is amazing that I am here in Canada right now dedicating my life to my Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus Christ. I don't mean to say that in a boastful way at all! But I mean it in the most grateful way possible! I thought of the rest of the world, and exactly what other people my age are doing with their lives right now... For the most part, they are doing very different things than me. They are have very different dreams and hopes and hobbies and habits. 
Then I thought about the family that I will have someday, and how badly I will want my children to have strong testimonies, and know the things I know. And that's a little daunting of a thought. I mean, you can do everything right as a parent and raise your children perfectly, but in the end they still have agency! And they still have to come to gain their own testimonies in this crazy world! And I just thought of how strong my testimony is, and how I can never deny the things I know to be true no matter what experiences and trials I go through in this life. I want that so badly for everyone! But the thought just occurred to me of how proud I hope my parents are of how they raised me. Congrats guys, you did it! You don't need to worry about me. 
Now don't get me wrong, every one, and every relationship has their weaknesses and things they can do to improve. So I am in no way saying that my parents are perfect;) (Sorry to spill the beans). But I am saying that, even with all the bumps we had a long the way, the day I moved out from home I knew who I was, and what I wanted. And that was that I am first and foremost, a daughter of God. And I want to become the daughter that He knows I can be. I want to fulfill all the potential that He sees in me. And I'm going to do whatever it takes to become the daughter that He is proud of, and knows He can always count on, and that makes it back to live with Him forever with complete Joy.
And that's all I think you can really do for your kids. Because once they have they witness for themselves, it's up to them to live up to it! But you've taught them how. 
So once again, shout out to my parents! On the days when you feel like nothing is going to way you want it to, just remember that something that you did worked, and it worked perfectly:) I just hope and pray that someday I can be as successful as a parent as you have been for my own family. 

Anyway! It has been a ...good week. I mean, I am having a great time and make the most of every day, So i naturally want to say it's been a GREAT week! But then when I actually reflect on it... it kinda stunk! haha! We had pretty much every single appointment we had made cancel on us for one reason or another... and that was pretty crummy! But opposition in all things right? That just means we're about to have a stellar week now, so watch out Calgary! We're coming for ya! haha:) 

So yeah, Sorry I don't have much to update you on! 
We're still working with Emanuel... that is, when he actually shows up for our appointments haha. And we're working with an amazing Less Active who is seriously such an inspiration to me! He is basically reactivating himself. It's amazing. He is so determined to change his life around and make improvements, and he's come to church to do it. Amazing. He is struggling with so many things right now including several addictions he wants to quite. And yesterday he had a moment where Satan really hit him hard and he started to feel discouraged and like it was hopeless. But we helped him understand that is Satan working on him, and how Jesus Christ understands how hard it is going to be, but how He also knows he can do it! So keep him in your prayers this week! :)
And now, it's time for me to run again!
I love you!
I really really do!
I hope you will always remember who you are, and who you want to become everyday and then do something about it! Change is real, and it is amazing. Whatever your struggle may be today, just know that with the help of our Savior, it can be put behind you. But it's always going to be a work in progress. Don't be discouraged by that, instead be grateful for the opportunity we have to improve continuously. 

Love Sister Dobyns

I left my camera at home again, so this is me right now! :) 
Sorry about that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment